Sunday, May 17, 2015

Invocations for three canticles

Inferno 2. 7-9

O muse, O alto ingegno, or m'aiutate; 
O mente che scrivesti ciò ch'io vidi, 
qui si parrà la tua nobilitate.

O Muses, O lofty genius, aid me now!
O memory that noted what I saw,
here shall be shown thy worth!


Botticelli: Dante's Inferno

Purgatorio 1. 7-12
Ma qui la morta poesì resurga, 
o sante Muse, poi che vostro sono;
e qui Caliopè alquanto surga, 
seguitando il mio canto con quel suono 
di cui le Piche misere sentiro 
lo colpo tal, che disperar perdono.


But here let poetry rise again from the dead,
O holy Muses, since I am yours;
And let here Calliope rise up for a while
and accompany my song with that strain
which smote the ears of the wretched magpies
so that they despaired of pardon.


Botticelli: Mountain of Purgatory


Paradiso 1. 13-27

O buono Appollo, a l'ultimo lavoro
fammi del tuo valor sì fatto vaso,
come dimandi a dar l'amato alloro.
Infino a qui l'un giogo di Parnaso
assai mi fu; ma or con amendue
m'è uopo intrar ne l'aringo rimaso.
Entra nel petto mio, e spira tue
sì come quando Marsia traesti
de la vagina de le membra sue.
O divina virtù, se mi ti presti
tanto che l'ombra del beato regno
segnata nel mio capo io manifesti,
vedra'mi al piè del tuo diletto legno
venire, e coronarmi de le foglie
che la materia e tu mi farai degno.

O good Apollo, for this final task
Make of me such a vessel of your power
As you require for your beloved laurel.
Up to this point, one summit of Parnassus
Has served me well, but now I need them both,
Entering on the arena that remains.
Come into my breast and, there within me, breathe,
As once, on that occasion when you drew
Marsyas from the scabbard of his limbs.
O power divine, but grant me of yourself
So much that I may figure forth the shadow
Of the blest realm imprinted in my mind,
And you shall see me come to your chosen tree
And crown myself beneath it with those leaves
Of which my theme and you will make me worthy.



No comments: